The Dallas Cowboys franchise owner and president Jerry Jones continues to be quiet regarding the star running back Ezekiel Elliott’s NFL-imposed six-game suspension for violating the league’s personal conduct policy over the alleged domestic violence against his former girlfriend.
[agg-ad id=”442″ align=”center”][agg-ad id=”834″ align=”center”]Jones anticipated that Elliott would not be suspended earlier last month. However, Jones and the Dallas Cowboys team as well as the franchise front office were sucker-punched when the National Football League commissioner Roger Goodell sanctioned Elliott with six-game suspension on August 11.
Jones continues to say that the promising star rusher has the organization’s full support in his battle against the suspension, but the franchise owner has yet to condemn the NFL’s decision.
“I don’t have anything to say about anything with the commissioner or with anything to do with Zeke at this particular time,” Jerry Jones told the reporters after the Dallas Cowboys’ 24-19 preseason win on Saturday evening over the Indianapolis Colts at the AT&T Stadium.
Jones was asked by the press media regarding his silence about the issue, but Jerry repeated the same perspective when questioned why he was not ready to discuss anything about the six-game ban.
[agg-ad id=”438″ align=”left”]”Because I have said I just want to get my thoughts together, see some more cards played, and just see kind of how this thing turns out,” Jones said. “I know that they’ve got a real important date set and want that to have every opportunity it can to have things in its best light. But we certainly are in support of Zeke.”
— Ezekiel Elliott (@EzekielElliott) August 12, 2017
The second-year running back Ezekiel Elliott and the NFL-Players Association (NFLPA) filed an appeal, and Goodell-appointed arbiter Harold Henderson will hear the appeal on Aug. 29.
[agg-ad id=”438″ align=”left”]Elliott, the Cowboys’ fourth overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft out of Ohio State, did not play in the team’s second exhibition contest against the Colts. Moreover, the organization has not yet announced whether or not he will play next Saturday against the Oakland Raiders.
Elliott was banned for 6-games by the NFL following the thirteen-months of investigation for domestic violence allegations against the him back in July 2016. Elliott’s ex-girlfriend, Tiffany Thompson, accused the running back of domestic violence in Columbus but was not arrested or charged in the case.
The suspension is set to begin on the Cowboys regular season opener on September 2 and Elliott is eligible to return to the Cowboys’ 53-man roster on October 23.
The Dallas might be forced to consider adding another running back to its 53-man roster for depth purposes. Also, not having Elliot for any single game or two could exhibit to be the contrast in winning or losing the NFC East division.
Elliot led the league in the most recent season with Cowboys rookie-record 1,631 rushing yards and added 15 rushing touchdowns alongside 32 receptions for 363 yards and a score through the air.