The Dallas Cowboys chief operating officer (COO) Stephen Jones said on Thursday, August 3, on 105.3 The Fan radio station that he expects the National Football League (NFL) to make a final decisions about the promising star running back Ezekiel Elliott in the next two weeks.
According to Mark Lane of All 22, Cowboys COO Jones added that he would be “shocked” if the National Football League’s investigation leaked into the upcoming 2017 NFL regular season.
NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero reported on July 21 that the league was “wrapping up” its review of a 2016 domestic violence allegation against Ezekiel Elliott.
We reported last month that the running back was bracing for a short period of suspension due to the alleged domestic violence incident.
TMZ reported a 20-year-old woman told the local cops Elliott assaulted her in back July 2016 in Columbus, Ohio. Meanwhile, ESPN.com’s Jean-Jacques Taylor later reported that no charges were brought against Zeke due to “conflicting and inconsistent information.”
The 22-year-old running back Elliott burst onto the scene as a rookie in the most recent season after the Dallas Cowboys drafted him with the No. 4 overall pick out of Ohio State in the 2016 NFL Draft.
Elliot led the league in 2016 NFL season with 1,631 rushing yards and added 15 rushing touchdowns alongside 32 receptions for 363 yards and a score through the air.
If the league imposes a suspension to running back Ezekiel Elliott, then the Dallas Cowboys will likely employ a rotation involving running backs Darren McFadden, Alfred Morris and Ronnie Hillman in the backfield.