Connect with us


Nation

Resorts World Manila eyeing to reopen its shopping center, but gaming area will remain closed

While Resorts World Manila eyeing to re-open its shopping section which had 114 brand outlets, the gaming area will remain closed.

MANILA, Philippines — Recovering from a tragedy, the Resorts World Manila was set on fire by an attacker last week and the hotel-casino complex will begin to open its retail section soon.

Stephen Reilly, the chief operations officer of Resorts World Manila, said on Friday, June 9, that while management has been eyeing to re-open its shopping section which had 114 brand outlets, the gaming area will remain closed.

“We’re not intending to open the gaming facilities at this given time. It’s insensitive to do so,” Stephen Reilly said. “But for the retail component, people still love to come to Resorts World. Go to restaurants, go to the cinema, go and dine and shop. We’d be looking to open up the retail component by the end of this week,” he added.

Reilly disclosed that the business keeps as its priority the victims and families of the fatal incident on June 2 when gunman Jessie Javier Carlos armed with a rifle and gasoline entered the Resorts World Manila premises and set parts of the gaming area on fire.

Jessie Javier Carlos, the lone suspect behind the attack, was a heavily indebted casino gambling addict, the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) said on Sunday. Thirty-seven died due to suffocation while the 78 others were injured. Outside hotel-casino complex premises, people are still holding a prayer vigil before a memorial set up for the victims of the deadly attack.

Reilly said that Resorts World Manila is shouldering all medical expenses of the victims, amongst whom were its own employees, giving out P1 million for each and setting aside funding for their dependents’ education.

When he was asked how much the company is losing each day it remains closed, Reilly opted not to disclose and dismissed the concern as “irrelevant.”

“What is important to me, to the company [Resorts World Manila] and to the executives is: let’s work through this in the best interest of everybody, the victims, the families, the industry, and also how the Philippines is perceived,” Reilly said.

Still, Resorts World Manila is facing a threat as it remains in hot water over possible security failure that resulted in number of casualties.

The executive, who has over a decade of experience in surveillance and security before helping set up Resorts World Manila franchise in the Philippines, also said that specialists and third parties are coming in to sort out the gaming complex’s fault in the tragedy.

Comments

More in Nation

Advertisement

Top Stories

Latest Stories

To Top